VERSAILLES, PALACE OF. About 13 miles (21 kilometers) southwest of Paris, in the city of Versailles, stands the largest palace in France. It was built because of the consuming envy of King Louis XIV, and once completed it became the object of envy of every other monarch in Europe. The Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, Schönbrunn in Vienna, and Herrenchiemsee in Bavaria are only three of the royal palaces built in imitation of the Palace of Versailles. Versailles itself served as a royal residence for a little more than a century--from 1682 until 1789, when the French Revolution began.
On Aug. 17, 1661, the French superintendent of finances, Nicolas Fouquet, presided over a large celebration in honor of Louis XIV. The festivities took place at Fouquet\'s magnificent newly completed château, Vaux-le-Vicomte. When Louis saw this palace he was outraged that one of his ministers should have such a home, while he did not. He had Fouquet thrown into prison and hired the men who had designed and built the palace to do the same for him at Versailles.
Versailles was not even a town when the king\'s predecessor, Louis XIII, built a hunting lodge there in 1624. This small structure became the base on which was constructed one of the most costly and extravagant buildings in the world. It was meant to be a home for Louis XIV, known as the Sun King, who boasted of himself, "I am the state." The men in charge of the project were Louis Le Vau, architect; Charles Le Brun, painter and decorator; and André Le Nôtre, landscape architect. About 37,000 acres (15,000 hectares) of land were cleared to make room for tree-lined terraces and walks and thousands of flowering plants. In the center the cross-shaped Grand Canal was laid out. It was 1,737 yards (1,588 meters) long and 67 yards (61 meters) wide. There were 1,400 fountains and 400 pieces of new sculpture.
The beginnings of the palace in 1669 were fairly humble compared to the finished structure. The architect Le Vau enclosed the hunting lodge and gave it the appearance of a small palace. In 1676 another architect, Jules Hardouin-Mansart, was put in charge of redesigning and enlarging the building. Starting with Le Vau\'s plans, Hardouin-Mansart added a second story and built the magnificent Hall of Mirrors and the north and south wings. Hardouin-Mansart\'s facade, facing the garden, was 1,903 feet (580 meters) long.
Construction of the palace went on through the next century. More than 36,000 workers were involved in the project, and when the building was completed it could accommodate up to 5,000 people, including servants. About 14,000 soldiers and servants were quartered in annexes and in the town.
Other structures on the palace grounds include the Grand Trianon, Petit (Small) Trianon, and the Carriage Museum. The Grand Trianon is a small château built by Hardouin-Mansart in 1687-88 for Louis XIV. It is now used to house distinguished visitors to France. The Petit Trianon was built by architect Jacques-Ange Gabriel at the direction of Louis XV in 1766 for Madame Du Barry, the last of his famous mistresses. Under Louis XVI it became a favorite residence of his queen, Marie Antoinette. Near the Petit Trianon is the Hamlet, a small farm village constructed for Marie Antoinette. There she and other ladies of the court would occasionally pass time pretending they were peasant women. The Carriage Museum, near the Grand Trianon, contains a collection of state coaches.
Today the Palace of Versailles is one of France\'s national monuments. The building is so large that only a small portion of it is open to the public. Many of the rooms are government offices. Visitors may tour the sections of the north and south wings closest to the center as well as the central section itself.
The north wing contains, on two floors, the Gallery of History, with portraits of the kings and members of their courts. It also contains the chapel designed by Hardouin-Mansart but completed by Robert de Cotte in 1710. Farther on in the north wing is the opera, or theater, added between 1753 and 1770 by Gabriel.
The most striking room in the central part of the palace is the