There is no such thing as equality
"Has been a lifesaver so many times!"
- Catherine Rampell, student @ University of Washington
"Exactly the help I needed."
- Jennifer Hawes, student @ San Jose State
"The best place for brainstorming ideas."
- Michael Majchrowicz, student @ University of Kentucky
There is no such thing as equality
Equality has been the root of much controversy beginning with mid 20th century. What Martin Luther King and the likes of him tried to accomplish has been on the governments’ agenda for many years. In addition, anti-discrimination activists are all the time in the works handing out don’t-stand-by-get-involved fliers and joyfully accepting whoever might take an interest in joining their activity.
Advocates say that discrimination would in the end cause a breakup among people of the same race, nationality and gender, explaining that the current trend of discrimination these days is merely a fleeting phase. People part of the same nation will steadily begin to feel ill at ease with one another and not only will this pull the plug on social relationships, but will cause the decline of our civilization.
It is indisputable that what anti-discrimination activists foresee is rather presumptuous. However, this “apocalyptic” outlook should be taken to indicate the importance of equality in our time. The founding fathers of democracy established civil liberties and ensured governments and legislative bodies deter them from being infringed upon.
Gender, race and nationality discrimination are still practiced at an international level but few recognize the toll they have recently taken. Case in point: headhunters are most likely to admit both men and women for consideration. Yet when it comes to deciding which one of them is more experienced and qualified for the particular job, men get most of the times in, although women may prove their competence is likely to up corporate revenues in the long term. The media insists gender discrimination is nose-diving but all they’re doing is passing on government-thought to the audience. It is no mere surprise that in recent survey 65 percent believed there is no such thing as discrimination. The other 35 percent of those sampled said equality is largely in very short supply. People need to see it for themselves to believe things are not always what they appear to be.
The business world is restricted from governmental involvement and generally from the media as well. Reporters need written permission to stick their nose deeply into private business unless circumstances permit. Recruiters, therefore, do not feel media interference in their decision-making and employment acceptance is largely arbitrary. When women are left out, by reason of gender difference, then there is nobody to report, unless the media become aware of that. Sidelining women on account of gender disparity is a matter of discrimination and in most genuinely democratic societies it is condemned by the public opinion.
The public opinion plays out a major role in sustaining discrimination and stymieing any governmental attempt to minimize bigotry. In 1996, an Afro-American male living in close vicinity to Harlem, New York City was reportedly chased down the driveway by the police for having been allegedly involved in gang crossfire. The investigation proved him guilty of no charge. The man said black people are normally picked on by white police officers and that was why he had raced away from law-enforcement units. Again, the public opinion is what troubles this pervading task; that is, taking on discrimination and putting it to sleep once and for all.
Public opinion beliefs and bias must be traced down to education. It is generally approved that everyone has the right to equality of opportunity. That every student must be considered equally even if they show, in the worst-case scenario, a handbrake in judgment or any other faculty. The state accounts for these students too. Suppose there is a class of 20 students in all. As much as 75% of them score more than 500 points in a simulated SAT test whereas the other 25% score no more than 250 points on average in the same test. Although most narrow-minded people would agree on sending those five special-needs students over to a school with special caring, the government offers in-school tutoring with high consideration. Furthermore, school peers are most likely to be told off in the event they jeered at their troubled schoolmates.
It is still in school that students begin to develop attitudes of sympathy, indifference and contempt regarding nationals. In a newscast early this year, a 15-year old carrying a 76-milimeter assault rifle was strolling the war-devastated streets
View Full Essay
Discrimination, Social inequality, Prejudices, Gender equality, Social justice, Sexism, Discrimination in the United States
More Free Essays Like This