"Has been a lifesaver so many times!"
- Catherine Rampell, student @ University of Washington
"Exactly the help I needed."
- Jennifer Hawes, student @ San Jose State
"The best place for brainstorming ideas."
- Michael Majchrowicz, student @ University of Kentucky
Course: IS535 Managerial Applications of Information Technology
Project Start Date: January 22, 2004
Project Ending Date: February 22, 2004
Healthlite by TekRevolutions
4 points to cover
o Identification of the major new technology components of your plan that is required to support the new business processes. If your solution requires a new system or set of systems, describe the functions of these systems, what pieces of information these systems should contain and how this information should be captured, organized, and stored.
o A sample data entry data screen or report for one of the new systems, if proposed.
o A description of the steps you would take as a manager to handle the conversion from the old system to the new.
o Quality assurance measures.
1) Major changes would be an enterprise system that accesses and integrates a worldwide inter-business through the intranet and outside vendors through an extranet. With these improvements the overall business model and practices would run more effectively and efficient. Healthlite will be able to use the Information System that is uniform with all of its warehouses, headquarters, and offices.
2) Healthlite Yogurt Inc. Purchasing and Tracking Order Form
Healthlite Yogurt Inc.
Customer ID Number
Customer Order Entry Form
3) Steps taken when analyzing Healthlite’s needs to implement technology supporting the new business processes would be an enterprise system that best meet the requirements. An enterprise system would link enterprise-wide information processes, thus improving the overall business efficiency across. When the entire company is able to use a single software system, all departments can share information freely. Enterprise systems provide companies with an all-encompassing technology platform. This technology platform results in a single data warehouse that uses different departments to input and to obtain enterprise-wide, standardized information. Further, the system allows for data storage in one data warehouse, which will avoid redundancy and inaccurate information issues. The data should be grouped by processing plants, but accessible to all users. This storage process will allow for differentiation among processing plants while allowing for enterprise-wide search capability. Thus, the enterprise system is key to the Healthlite ‘s success as it moves into the future.
By installing an client/server enterprise system into the Healthlite business, managers will be supporting business processes that will make the company more efficient. It will allow for scalability and reliability for encompassing all business areas within the system. The enterprise system will allow for centralized data collection and entry. A centralized data entry form system that will result in the reduction of or the elimination of paper passing, faxing, mailing throughout the company. This system will also provide employees the option of generating reports on-line that will result in the reduction of printing, which will be done when necessary. This additional feature will aid managers and market analysts by providing them with the ability to collect accurate information to assist them in accurate sales planning, decision-making, and marketing strategy development.
Healthlite must also improve the telecommunications infrastructure enterprise-wide. E-mail capabilities will be needed throughout the company in order to eliminate the ineffective communication within the company. Additionally, the company will add Intranet and Internet that will improve its day-to-day operations.
The following are the steps that managers need to take to ensure successful conversion.
o Make sure to get buy-in from senior management. Ensure that senior managers lead the change process.
o Inform employees of upcoming changes and solicit volunteers to form the development team. Ensure that the development team involves both IT and business personnel.
o Throughout the process, involve all employees to ensure their support in making changes, to complete the design of the new system and business processes, and to ensure user acceptance before implementation. Additionally, continuously document the new processes for training and scope change purposes.
o Establish milestone meetings that will address feedback and that will facilitate the conversion process throughout the steps of the development lifecycle.
o Encourage e-mail updates about development productivity from the development team to the users as well as to management.
o Provide training and documentation throughout the process. Also, prepare user manuals prior to implementation.
o Follow the implementation with trouble-shooting user support.
4) Quality assurance (QA) is a well planned-out and systematic
View Full Essay