Poison ivy
Poison ivy has three leaflets per stem. That’s where the saying , "Leaflets three, let

them be" , comes from. The leafs are not symmetric to each other so it is easy to be

distinguished out of a group. The Poison Ivy plant also likes to grow on and up trees or

rapped around inside bushes. The plant itself is hard to kill and if not completely dead, it

will grow back.
Treating the rash

The best cure for healing poison ivy is to mix Epson salt in water and stir until the

salt dissolves. The higher the ratio of salt to water, up until about 2 tablespoons of salt per

cup (beyond that its overkill),the quicker it will leave. Use a paper towel to sponge the salt

water on the poison ivy area and as far away as 2 inches from the area. If necessary apply

this to open blisters too, it will dry them out fast. Let the water dry on the area, leaving a

salt dust covering. If you must bandage, bandage areas with a "Epson salt cured" paper

towel or gauze pads. Soak thick paper towels in the same Epson salt mix and hang the

towels to dry, and use the dried towels as bandages. Of course, the best thing it so allow

the area to be exposed to air unbandaged, but sometimes its required. Do not use Caradryl

or “Rhuhi Gel”. Caradryl is much the same, except it doesn’t have the alcohol of "Rhuhi

Gel", which actually can cause discomfort if you apply it to an open sore. Calamine lotion

works, but not as fast as Epson Salt, plus calamoine makes the area itch more.


The truth about Itching.

Itching will cause Poison ivy to spread only during the early stages of exposure.

Poison Ivy's "active ingredient" is urushiol, its found in the sap of poison ivy. Urushiol is

sticky and it will spread by contact. If you get in on your arm and your shirt sleeve, wiping

your face with your shirt sleeve will move to some of the urushiol to your face. While the

urushiol is on the surface of your body, itching will transfer the urushiol to other parts of

your body. Once the urushiol moves under your skin, the damage is done, it will spread

throughout your blood stream and area where it was originally exposed. When it erupts

back to the surface, what you is actually happening is your body is compacting the urushiol

by creating electrolyte to flush the urushiol up and out of your body. This forms blisters,

the liquid in these blisters is electrolyte not Poison Ivy's urushiol. There is some urushiol in

the liquid but its small in size compared to the amount of electrolytes around it. It is

possible to pop these blisters with a sterile needle, to soak up the electrolytes, and treat it

with cold salt water. But do with caution, this does risk infection when it is done. A sign

of infection is white pus around the open sore. You should see a doctor at this point. You

will probably get a prescription for some kind of antibiotic, and maybe be asked to take a

days rest. It does dry the poison ivy faster . Popping these blisters does not make the rash

spread if you soak up the electrolytes and run cold water, or epson salt water over the

area. A doctor should be seen if rash increases or does not go away.

After Effects

Poison ivy can leave scaring if it is severe enough. Sensitivity to the poison ivy

can increase after breaking out in a severe rash. there really are no long term effects from

poison ivy, but the short term effects hurt.