Persuasive Speech on Abortion
"Has been a lifesaver so many times!"
- Catherine Rampell, student @ University of Washington
"Exactly the help I needed."
- Jennifer Hawes, student @ San Jose State
"The best place for brainstorming ideas."
- Michael Majchrowicz, student @ University of Kentucky
Persuasive Speech on Abortion
April 23, 2002
Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that abortions are wrong and immoral
Central Idea: By educating people on all the facts about abortion and maybe people will see the injustice of abortions.
A. "In the past two hundred years, over one million Americans have died for their country. Monuments have been built and speeches have been delivered, honoring these American heroes. America is now engaged in a war where there are no heroes, no monuments or awards-only victims. Our society has declared war on its most helpless members-our unborn children. Since that war was declared on January 22, 1973 there have been over 35 million deaths." (www.Abortionfacts.com)
B. Abortion is one of the most controversial and important subjects of this generation.
C. I surveyed 22 people and from all of them only 7 were against abortion, 12 were for abortion, and 3 were undecided.
D. Today, I will be discussing with you this controversial subject of abortion. My goal today is to hopefully persuade my audience that abortion is wrong and immoral. I will do this by putting forth some questions regarding abortion and answer them as well. I will also tell you some of the hidden risk factors of abortion and what YOU can do to put an end to abortion.
I believe many of you guys are unsure were you stand on the subject of abortion because there are so many questions to be answered before one can make this decision. So for you to understand better about what abortion is, I went to a website that posed many of questions one might have about abortion. I will also give you some statistics on abortion and the complications of abortions as well.
Questions and Answers:
1. When does the unborn babyís heart begin to beat?
The heart beats begins between the 18th and 25th day.
2. When does the brain begin to function?
Electrical brain waves have been recorded as early as 40 days.
3. How early can a baby survive outside the motherís womb?
Currently 20 weeks is considered the accepted minimum. However, this time will be reduced as medical technology continues to improve.
These are just some of the questions I have chosen to inform you about but there are many more questions that are just as shocking as these are. If you wish to know more about abortion you can visit www.abortionfacts.com
Regarding the complications and the aftermath for women that chose to have an abortion here are some statistics and examples of what kinds of complication women may go through during and/or after having an abortion.
1. The National statistics on abortion show that 10% of women undergoing induced abortion suffer from immediate complications, of which one-fifth (20%) were considered major.
2. The nine most common "major" complications are: infection, excessive bleeding, ripping of the uterus, convulsions, hemorrhage, cervical injury, and endotoxic shock.
3. While the immediate complications of abortion are usually treatable, these complications frequently lead to long-term reproductive damage of much more serious nature.
4. For example, one possible outcome of abortion related infection is sterility. Researchers have reported that 3 to 5 percent of aborted women are left sterile as a result of the operations. The risk of sterility is even greater for women who are infected with a venereal disease at the time of the abortion.
5. Studies showed that the first few weeks after the abortion between 40 to 60 percent of women reported negative reactions. Within 8 weeks after their abortions, 55% expressed guilt, 44% complained of nervous disorders, 36% had experienced sleep disturbances, 31% had regrets about their decision, and 11% had been prescribed medication by their family doctor.
Along with all of these complications there are hidden risk factors that are accompanied in having an abortion. The connection between abortion and breast cancer is almost at epidemic levels. Studies have shown an increase in breast cancer risks by more than 400%. Abortion interrupts the natural changes in the breast, leaving millions of cells at high risk for cancer. There are one million six hundred thousand abortions each year: 56% are first abortions: 44% are second or more abortions. One woman in ten of these women will develop breast cancer and 25% of them will die according to Women and Children First website.
Now that I have
View Full Essay
Pro-life movement, Abortion in the United States, Abortion, Fertility, Human reproduction, United States pro-life movement, Crisis pregnancy center, Religion and abortion, Abortion debate
More Free Essays Like This