John F. Kennedy Assassination

History Project

January 10, 2004

President John F. Kennedy and Mrs. Kennedy were in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963. On his way to a lunch in a place in downtown Dallas, Kennedy and his wife sat in an open convertible at the head of a motorcade. Lyndon Johnson was two cars behind the president. The Texas Governor John B. Connally and his wife were sitting with the JFK and his wife. There were lots of people in big crowds. The large crowds were very into this ceremony

The motorcade was coming toward an underpass. Then all of the sudden that was when three shots were fired really fast. The first bullet passed through the Kennedy’s neck and struck Governor Connally in the back. When the second bullet was shot it hit the president in the head. The third bullet that was shot missed the motorcade. When Kennedy was hit he fell forward. The car he was in rushed to Parkland Hospital. At 1:00 PM he was dead. Kennedy had never regained consciousness.

The bullets that were shot and killed Kennedy were fired from a sixth-story window of a nearby warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald who was employed in the warehouse was arrested in a Dallas movie theater and charged with the murder that afternoon. Two days later when the suspect was being transferred from one jail to another. Jack Ruby who was the owner of the Dallas nightclub ran away from a group of reporters. Millions of people watched this happen on television. He shot a revolver into Oswald’s left side. Oswald died in the same hospital that the President had been taken too after he was murdered.

On November 24 the body of President Kennedy was carried on a horse-drawn carriage from the White House to the Rotunda of the Capitol. Millions of people filed past the coffin of the president. A state funeral was held the next day. Representatives of 92 nations attended the funeral for John F Kennedy. Almost 1 million people were lined in the streets of Washington as the funeral made its way slowly to the Arlington National Cemetery. There was an Eternal flame lighted by his wife and brothers, which marked the grave.

Five days after the funeral, President Johnson appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Earl Warren chairman of a committee to investigate Kennedy’s death. The findings of the investigation were announced on September 27, 1964. The investigators had found no evidence of conspiracy in the assassination. Their report concluded, “the shots which killed President Kennedy and wounded Governor Connally were fired by Lee Harvey Oswald.”