I Greek Forerunners before
"Has been a lifesaver so many times!"
- Catherine Rampell, student @ University of Washington
"Exactly the help I needed."
- Jennifer Hawes, student @ San Jose State
"The best place for brainstorming ideas."
- Michael Majchrowicz, student @ University of Kentucky
I. Greek Forerunners (before)
1500 B.C. 1. Minoan Civilization, (they were peaceful) ( No walls, defensive)
A) Crete (Island)- located-Great weather,soils good.
B) Shipbuilders, Art, Export-good out. knossos-(Evans dug up the city)
800 rooms, running water, toilets (Equality-valued women)
400 B.C. 2. City-States
A) Pois is a city state-Mts. divided up Greece!
B) Athens-Culture Sparta-WAR
3. Spartan Society-Land Locked
A) Sparties- original inhabitants-run sparta
B) Perioikoi-Neighbor- merchants-craftsman
4. Paranoid-Africa-Spartites are the Minority
A) Totalitarian State-Total Control
B) Life in Sparta-Womb to the Tomb
- Child is inspected-put to death
- At age 7-taken from family-belongs to state- reading, writing
- Steal extra food! Punishment Public
- Age 12-13- cloak- Lived on the move
- Women were to produce children for Sparta
- Age 20 Barracks
- No Coins-Iron Bars
- No Art
- COME HOME WITH YOUR SHIELD ON OR ON IT
I. Athenian Society
A) Athens-Port City Trading
*1. Acropolis-High Hill
*2. Pathenon-Temple to Athena
*3. Agora-Market Place
B) Type of government
1. Aristocracy-Small group of people who rule for the common good
2. Oligarchy-Rule by a few selfish reason
3. Tyranny-One person complete control
4. Democracy-People Rule
1. Solon 594 B.C.-Wise
A) Court of appeals
B) Canceled debt
2. Pericles 461 B.C.
A) Golden Age-High water mark by Athens
B) Elections by lot-Paid for doing it.
Direct Democracy-Everyone can be involved
2nd Persian Invasion
Xerces-480 B.C. Invade Greece
Themopyle-Pass Mt./Guard by 300 Spartans. 7,000 allies
Leonidas-Spartan leader-Hold the pass
Persian Wins Battle-Athens get burned
Salamus-Naval Battle-Greek U.S.
Persian-Literally the Greeks win Persian out!
Delian League-Athens-protect all City-States for money.
SPARTA SAID NO!
Pelponnesian War- Sparta vs. Athens- 27 years
Athenís Plague! Sparta Wins
I. Alex the Great
1. Philip (father), Olympias (mother)-Alex only 13 years old, in army,...dies 33
From Macedonia- No. Greece
A) Aristotle-teacher to Alex- mind & body
B) Philip- Divorces (Olympias- Alex) Philip Conquering Greece
C) Death- Philip is killed
II. Alexander (Age 20) inherit all of Greece (Thehes)
A) Purges-get rid of- Alex kills baby and mother
B) 35,000 Troops-Disciplined/ great workers, Alex
always put himself in great danger
C) Daruis III- Persian Leader (Alex mergertle (Persia) cultures)
D) Alex-go to India, noting there, he dies at 33, empire divides up
E) Hellenistic Period- After Alexander merging of Greek and Persian Culture
View Full Essay
Greek culture, Greek people, Sparta, Delian League, Pericles, Classical Athens, Leonidas I, Battle of Thermopylae, Classical Greece, Peloponnesian War
More Free Essays Like This